Hugo Swire has been re-elected but I came a strong second in the East Devon parliamentary elections.
The results were announced at about 4pm this morning after an energetic and lively campaign involving 700 volunteers and raising an unbelievable £12000 plus in just six weeks.
The results are as follows:
• Alison M Eden, Liberal Democrats: 1,468
• Peter H Faithfull, Independent: 150
• Brigitte Graham, UK Independence Party (UKIP): 1,203
• Jan Ross, Labour Party: 6,857
• Hugo Swire, The Conservative Party Candidate: 29,306 (Elected)
• Michael D Val Davies, Independent: 128
• Claire L Wright, Independent: 21,270
Turnout 73 per cent I think. One and half points up on 2015
My share of the vote rocketed from 24 per cent to 36 per cent!
I am not downhearted, although of course, I am very disappointed not to be East Devon’s MP.
I am over the moon to have increased my votes by 8000
With seven candidates in the running I think this must be a pretty historic event.
I would like to pay tribute to an amazing campaign team of 12 who couldn’t have been more committed, determined or worked harder. I had to keep pace with them, not the other way around!
Thank you so much to everyone who helped me campaign for the East Devon parliamentary seat and finally, to all those who believed in me enough to give me their vote.
Ottery St Mary