Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

Comments on "Director of Ladram Bay Holiday Park attempts intimidation at public meeting"

1. At 08:44 am on 09th Nov Malcolm Lee wrote:

Good for you Claire. Standing up to a bully and keeping him silent is ideal traning for your next round with Huge Swines.

2. At 08:51 am on 09th Nov Geoff Myring wrote:

Well done Claire. It seems to be all about profit over people. I have also complained to EDDC on many occasions about the speed and size of traffic along Exmouth Road, it falls on deaf ears. It seems that nothing will be done until there’s a fatality

3. At 03:18 pm on 09th Nov Sandra Semple wrote:

So bullying and harrassment is alive and well in East Devon - no surprise.  Can you imagine how EDDC would treat householders if they doubled the size of their house and then added a granny annex and then changed their double garage into 2 bedsits and later applied for retrospective planning permission!  Would their MP stick up for them and schmooze with them?  Would EDDC roll over?  So what’s different about the Carters?

4. At 06:06 pm on 09th Nov Leanne Winter wrote:

Thank you for attending the meeting, having a positive representation of the village is a relief. The groundswell of public opinion in the village against Ladram Bay has increased year on year. The utter disrespect the holiday park has for its neighbours and the environment is criminal. We feel lucky to have you on board

5. At 08:01 pm on 09th Nov Michael Reade wrote:

Hi Claire, thank you for this article. I really appreciate your passion and dedication for the local community. I supported you in the recent election and want to continue to do so, and so I really hope this post does not fall on deaf ears.

I am a resident of the local area, and have long seen locals’ disarray with the modern world making its way toward us in the form of supermarket deliveries and increasing numbers of new builds. I recognise that many locals also seem to project their uncertainty and fears of global modernisation onto Ladram Bay. This is where my concerns lie. I do believe that there is room for scepticism over Ladram Bay’s future development however I think it is incredibly important that we work with the owners in harmony rather than villainising the Carter family and using the park as a scapegoat for more general and inevitable changes as we move further into the twenty-first century.

I do feel also that this article reads as a sort of smear campaign, and I am interested to hear how you think articles like this benefit the community? My concerns are more that the park may fall into the hands of a larger corporation which would entirely cut its ties with the local community. This meeting was an opportunity for the community to build stronger ties with Ladram Bay, and I can’t help but feel like you have only created an uncomfortable hostility between the two which is unconstructive and potentially a setback in the relationship. It is common courtesy to contact hosts in advance when one would like to speak publicly, and I do feel that on private property under invitation it is inappropriate and impudent to disregard instruction. Having said that, attempts at intimidation are not pleasant, and I do hope it will not discourage you from speaking publicly again, perhaps under invitation next time!

Please Claire, if you consider yourself a voice for the people, I think it’s really important that you work with local businesses and not against them, I’m sure then they’ll be more willing to listen and take council with you!

6. At 08:45 pm on 09th Nov Rachel Conti wrote:

East Devon residents are lucky to have you as their representative Claire. Well done for standing your ground and refusing to be intimidated!

7. At 10:10 am on 10th Nov Maggie Seager wrote:

I would like to thank Claire Wright for attending the meeting at Ladram Bay Wednesday night I know of course that she will really understand the issues of the traffic and parking congestion in Otterton living in Ottery St Mary, as I know pretty much every Devon village and Town now experiences.  I am also grateful that as my representative regardless of my personal views or political persuasion that you will represent me as resident of Otterton and also put forward an account of my views as said resident even if they do not match your own, I know being the professional independent councillor that you are will therefore support me when I was saddened to note that some of the minute’s taken by you and then subsequently reported as an account of the meeting seem to be missing some feedback and points raised from other Otterton residents. I am confident that this was just a slight oversight I do know how busy everyone is and how busy life is. So in my public duty to my fellow Ottertonians whom I know all share an overriding passion for our beautiful village I thought I would save you the trouble and record the other points raised at the meeting and this will hopefully help the people who were unable to attend due to work and family commitments so that a well balanced and all round view of the issues are available.
Population
In 1986 – 500, further to be increased by the approved planning for 15 new homes next to North Star (yet to be completed) a direct quote from Councillor Tony Bennett several years ago “Because that road is used as a sort of short cut between Exmouth and Sidmouth, at rush hour the traffic is extremely heavy.”
The above is a matter of public record and was accepted 30 years ago that the through traffic was a severe problem even then.  To quote your figures from the recent traffic survey 35% were en- route to Ladram, which therefore means that the other 65% was through traffic, Otterton has historically been used as a rat run for the commute to Sidmouth.
2016 – 715 and growing! Also to be taken into consideration in terms of population figures is quite simple, 20/30 years ago residents had larger families, now families are smaller but there are more, hence more vehicles.
11.9 % of the houses in Otterton are private rentals the majority being “Holiday Lets”
Older Businesses such as the Garage, the Bakery, The Butchers, The Post Office and the public Toilets all changed from Business Use to Residential, more parking required.
In 2011 there were 23 homes in Otterton without a vehicle, 107 households with 1 car/van, 117 with 2 cars/vans , 26 with 3 cars/vans and 6 households with 4 or more cars/vans, there are no further updated figures but based upon the fact that that was 6 years ago I am sure you can do the math.
Most households have more than one vehicle some 3 or 4 myself included compared to 20/30 years ago. Personal vehicles are larger e.g 4 x 4, camper vans, horse boxes and agricultural vehicles are larger
Online grocery/retail shopping more popular than 20/30 years ago therefore bringing in more traffic. In 1986 only 20% of villagers owned a computer.  Fact, more than 50% of the population now shop online which increase delivery vehicles.  There are more recycling vehicles, more large oil/heating delivery vehicles as opposed to smaller coal trucks of years ago.  There are food delivery services. Larger delivery vehicles to local business and Food Delivery Services (takeaway). A lot of Otterton residents rely on the delivery of their grocery shopping.
The Old Vicarage established 1986 with 24 rooms for occupants brought both residents and their families visiting as well as staff and service providers to the business, again also responsible for providing work and income to the area.
Buses through the village 1986 was 8 per day in 2017 there are 10 per day, although this is not a major increase in terms of physical vehicles through the village the cost of travel has increased significantly since 1986 (it was £1.50 return to Exmouth/Sidmouth, it’s now £8.00) which has seen a decrease in users despite the local governments best efforts to promote public transport, with more and more residents relying on their own vehicles.
The Kings Arms has rooms now and more eating areas which they didn’t have 20 years ago that’s increased footfall.
Ladram Bay had 237 Units in 1986, in 2017 it now has approx. 500 which is a 50% increase in 30 years
Otterton Mill has 19,000 visitors in 1986, in 2017 I am sure is a lot more however I have been unable to obtain this information.
Population of Otterton C of E School has increased, due to it’s great results it encourages children from neighbouring villages.
Beavers return has increased footfall to the village
Personal views aside of the effect local businesses have had on the traffic and parking congestion has all been affected by the points made above, points that cannot simply be swept under the carpet as they are unfortunately a fact of modern life and as we are fortunate and have indeed chosen to live in a beautiful Devon village it brings with it for sure, disadvantages. The local businesses’ have overall a very positive effect on our economy and employment and the support of lots of other local business that supply them. I am however mindful that the legitimate concerns raised by most Otterton residents are felt by us all, both young and old alike. We all want a safer village with better parking and much less congestion on that I am confident we can all agree.
I for one would like to see all of the local businesses involved along with Otterton residents and the parish council to work together in a calm, professional and respectful manner and behave like the educated adults that we are and really focus on trying to find a compromise and I mean compromise from all parties involved and with a healthy exchange of views, but all working towards one GOAL and then hopefully we can come up with a resolution.
So lets focus on the future and work together as a community and try and make 2018 a positive year for all the residents and visitors to Otterton.

8. At 08:07 pm on 11th Nov Ian woolger wrote:

Thankyou Claire, for having the strength to stand up to this level of bullying.  Whilst none of us think that investment and an increase in business does not help provide jobs and opportunities locally. It is fine as long as people work within the framework of planning legislation. Every week we see local landowners riding roughshod over planning and treating the local population with contempt. Otterton is a wonderful little village, it was never designed to cope with the massive influx of vehicles it currently sees yet it seems the quest for cash, outweighs the needs of local residents. Keep up the good work.